Moving Guide

If you are moving to East Cobb, there are a few things you will need to keep in mind when you get here.  These items include setting up your utilities, getting a new title for your vehicle, registration of your vehicle and getting new license plates, getting a Georgia drivers license, getting car insurance for your vehicle, and registering to vote.

Residents of East Cobb can select from a number of utility providers for most services.  For more information, please visit our East Cobb Utilities Directory.

Motor Vehicles
Out of state vehicles must be registered within 30 days of residency.  You will also need to get car insurance and most will need an emissions test before registering your vehicle in Cobb County.

Emissions Testing
If your vehicle model year is this year, last year, or the year before, an emissions test is not required.  An emission test is also not required if your vehicle is an alternative fuel vehicle, a motorcycle, or an rv.  Emissions tests are $25 or less, and numerous testing facilities are in the area.  If your vehicle fails inspection, you must pay to have it repaired and then you can get it tested again at the same facility for no additional fee within 30 days.

Driver’s License
New residents must apply for a Georgia driver’s license within 30 days. Licenses are valid for 8 years.  16 and 17 year olds must have held an instructional permit for 1 year and 1 day before receiving a provisional license with a few restrictions.  Drivers 18 and older are given a regular class c license.

Property Tax Break – Homestead Exemption
If your new East Cobb home is your primary residence, you can apply for the homestead exemption to lower your bill.  Application forms must be received by April 1, to qualify for the current tax year’s exemption. Homestead exemptions reduce the amount of property taxes you pay for your home. Homestead exemptions are deducted from the assessed value of the qualifying property (40 percent of the fair market value). Exemptions only apply to homestead property you own and occupy as your legal residence.

To register your child for school, visit our East Cobb Schools Directory for a listing of area schools and important links to the Cobb County School District website.

Register to Vote
You can register to vote at the Georgia Department of Driver Services when you get your driver’s license.  To vote in Georgia, you must be a United States citizen, 18 years or older on Election Day, legal resident of a Georgia county, no felony conviction, and not been judged to be mentally incompetent.

Getting Around
The most popular form of transportation in East Cobb is by personal vehicle.  Parking is plentiful and roads are generally well maintained.  If you do not have a car, plan to rent one at the airport or use services like Uber, Lyft, or Taxis.  Public transportation is limited and very few parts of East Cobb are serviced by CobbLinc public bus lines. The CobbLinc stops in East Cobb are primarily located up and down the I-75 corridor.  If you are interested in going to Atlanta or other areas outside of Cobb County using public transportation, you can take a CobbLinc bus south to a transfer station at MARTA (Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority). MARTA is the public transportation system for Metro Atlanta and uses both bus and rail. You are only charged once for the CobbLinc fare. There is no transfer fee when going from CobbLinc to MARTA. This is the cheapest way to get to downtown Atlanta if you do not have a car, but it takes a long time.  In addition, with CobbLinc, there are limited pickup areas and limited service on Sundays and some holidays, including New Years Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day. Please visit the public transportation websites for the latest information on routes, fares, maps, and other info:
CobbLinc :